how to use allout with perl?

From: Bill White
Subject: how to use allout with perl?
Date: Thu, 03 Aug 2006 22:31:01 GMT

I've learned to love allout mode with planner and muse; now I'd like
to use it to organize perl code, but I can't figure out what prefixes
to use in my perl file (which is in emacs' standard perl mode).  Any
suggestions?

I've tried things like

#.*
##.*
# .*
#. *
###_* (mimicing allout.el)

and on and on.  A prefix of '*' works, but the thing needs to be
commented out, which seems to break allout's magic.  Of course, I have
this at the bottom of the file after __END__:

Local variables:
allout-layout: (1 : )
End:

Many thanks for any ideas!