Pasting into emacs..with certain characters..

From: harel barzilai
Subject: Pasting into emacs..with certain characters..
Date: 15 Aug 2006 14:56:54 -0700

Hello,

This is more a emacs-via-terminal-program question, rather than just
about emacs by itself, but
I'm thinking the readership of this group will be a more savvy one more
likely to be
able to help me, and am thinking/hoping that others on this group might
be in the same
situation I'm in so might know some fixes offhand.

I regularly use ssh to get to a linux shell from which I use emacs (for
the time being I don't have a simple GUI, nor any fancy X so my linux,
and emacs access are through ssh'ing into a
shell account I pay for).

When I try to copy/paste into emacs, to save as a file or into the
*mail* buffer say from
my browser for example, there are often problems with dashes, single
and double quotes, etc. It took me a whie I have to admit to even
figure out this was not an emacs issue but one
with the terminal program insisting on interpreting those...suddenly it
activates
emacs search (control-s) just because part of the paste had some single
quote in it, etc.
Very strangely, every once in a while, the pastes don't have this
problem even with
those characters...In any case, I'm wondering if there is a simple
solution? I don't
think there's an emacs mode or emacs feature I can use to fix this (is
there?) and if not,
is there a better ssh client anyone can name, or a mode or setting I am
missing on my
client, so I can just copy/paste into emacs from the browser even with
those
quotes/dashes characters? Many thanks,

Harel
barzilai [at] gmail [dot] com