Re: X commands not forwarding

From: Mark T.B. Carroll
Subject: Re: X commands not forwarding
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 15:27:32 -0400

lackita <lackita@gmail.com> writes:

> I'm sshing into a computer and wanted to forward the X commands to my desktop
> for obvious reasons.  The problem is that it always runs as if it has the
> -nox option.  I can get other programs to tunnel, so I know it's not a
> problem with my x server.  It's possible that this is a version of emacs
> without X capabilities, so could somebody tell me how to check for that as a
> starting point.

That's interesting. To answer your question, perhaps if you do

       ldd `which emacs`

then you can see if it's linked against things like libX11.

I can't be sure that text-only ones wouldn't be, but I'd guess that they
mightn't. (-:

Does the ssh daemon on your desktop allow X forwarding? For instance, my
sshd has a config file with a X11Forwarding option that I have to set
to 'yes' for X forwarding to be permitted.

(Apologies for the Unix/Linux-centric view, if you're a Windows user.)

-- Mark