Re: Dired confused by filenames starting with date-like strings

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Dired confused by filenames starting with date-like strings
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 19:35:31 -0400

> From: kg6mar@gmail.com
> Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
> Date: 24 Aug 2006 10:43:26 -0700
>
> > The variable `dired-use-ls-dired' controls whether dired does this or
> > not.  So to fix this problem, try installing GNU ls (I guess that means
> > cygwin, as you're on ms-windows?) and setting dired-use-ls-dired to t.
>
> After more testing and advice-following, it still appears to me that ls
> is working as required, but dired can't parse this particular filename
> correctly from the ls output.  It sounds as if it works on a Unix or
> linux emacs implementation but not Windows.

Are you using the native Windows port of Emacs or the Cygwin port?
What does Emacs display when you type "M-x emacs-version RET"?

If you are using the native Windows port, Emacs does not use the
external `ls' program (because it's generally unavailable on Windows
machines).  Instead, it uses the `ls' emulation in Lisp; see
ls-lisp.el.

ls-lisp.el is preloaded into the native Windows port; to disable it
and force Emacs to use the external `ls' program, set the variable
`ls-lisp-use-insert-directory-program' to a non-nil value.