Re: Manipulating the modeline

From: Denis Bueno
Subject: Re: Manipulating the modeline
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 11:55:48 -0400

On 19 Oct 2006 04:06:52 -0700, Joakim Hove <joakim.hove@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello,

my modeline currently displays the name of the buffer I am
editing/viewing. Is it possibly to change this to include the full path
to the file (if the buffer is bound to a file)?

The following doesn't really answer your exact question, but it might
be relevant. Because the filename of an arbitrary file might be really
long (in which case putting the entire path to it in the mode-line
might have undesirable consequences), you might try one of two
"workarounds":

1.  Put the following in your custom-set-variables:

'(uniquify-buffer-name-style (quote forward) nil (uniquify))

This will cause buffers with the same filename but distinct locations
on the filesystem to have their names "uniquified" so that distinct
files have distinct names. If you open two Makefiles, one under proj1
and another under proj2, the displayed buffer names will be
"proj1/Makefile" and "proj2/Makefile" so you can till which is which.

2. If you need to know exactly where a file resides when you're
visiting its buffer, type M-x pwd. This will let you know.

Hope this info is useful.

-Denis