Re: dired mode or norton commander

From: Dieter Wilhelm
Subject: Re: dired mode or norton commander
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2006 02:07:57 +0100

"bcochofel" <bruno.cochofel@gmail.com> writes:

> The dirs '.' and '..' don't work when I press RET but work with 'a'
> key...
> I was used to use RET key, guess I got to change to 'a'...
>
> I really want to use norton commander, I like very much being able to
> (copy, move) from left to right...
> Is there any way to make dired show 2 side by side windows? (Without
> C-x 3...)

The only ways I can think of is to specify two side by side windows at
startup or write a lisp function for doing this.

But what is the problem with having a dired buffer and then opening
another side by side with "C-x 3 d" because even under Norton you have
to tell what other directory you want to have in the other Norton
window?

When you have two dired windows then with

(setq dired-dwim-target t)

dired will do similar things for copying and moving like norton- or
midnight commander (mc) (I'm using Emacs 22 I'm not sure this'll work
with 21 though).

--
    Best wishes

    H. Dieter Wilhelm