Re: Why I can't use `info' in emacs?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Why I can't use `info' in emacs?
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2006 10:39:56 +0200

> From: Ronald <followait@163.com>
> Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2006 07:59:03 +0800
>
> It works in bash.
> But in emacs, either I use`M-x info' or `C-h C-i',
> it can't display the info page.

First, I assume you meant "C-h i", not "C-h C-i".

Second, what does ``can't display the info page'' mean, exactly?  What
happens after "C-h i"?

> ``man 3 printf" ,  how to do it with info?

There are several ways.  If you are sure you are looking for the C
library function `printf', type "C-h S c-mode RET printf RET".

If you are not sure what `printf' you are looking for, try "M-x
info-apropos RET".

(The above might not work if you are not running Emacs 22.)

> What's better man, woman or info?

Inside Emacs, use Info first, and if you cannot find the documentation
of whatever you are looking for, I suggest to use woman, since it's
more portable across platforms supported by Emacs.