Re: Emacs corrupted

From: Robert Thorpe
Subject: Re: Emacs corrupted
Date: 20 Dec 2006 11:03:51 -0800

DigitalDingo wrote:
> A couple of days ago I tried to open both Emacs and Maple using the Deskbar
> in Ubuntu with the command "emacs & xmaple". Well, it was a try - and it
> didn't work either - and now emacs seems to have been corrupted. Much of the
> text is just squares and the menu bar has an ugly large font as you can see
> on the screen shots. Also, when I hover the pointer over something, it
> should bring up a description, but it just shows squares.
> I don't use an .emacs file.
>
> Does anyone know how to correct this?
>
> http://www.nabble.com/file/4959/emacs1.png
> http://www.nabble.com/file/4960/emacs2.png
> http://www.nabble.com/file/4961/emacs3.png

This isn't corruption of Emacs itself, it's an Ubuntu bug AFAIK.
>From a previous post of mine....

This problem is the interaction of Emacs and X.org config.  It can
affect Debian and Ubuntu.  See the Debian bug
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=352811 and the Ubuntu
bug https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+source/xorg/+bug/53038.
There has been quite a lot of discussion about where to best fix it.
See the threads for details.

It affects every part of X on the relevant distributions.  Type
"xfontsel" to see what I mean.
The problem is fonts used to be in /usr/share/X11/fonts/ now they are
in /usr/share/fonts/X11/, the config file xorg.conf was not updated to
reflect this change.

Dave Love wrote a patch to fix it:
http://librarian.launchpad.net/4860914/diff