Re: How to apply a minor mode to all buffers

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: How to apply a minor mode to all buffers
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2007 12:37:36 +0200

> Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2007 14:33:14 -0800
> From: "James Aguilar" <aguilar.james@gmail.com>
> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
>
> So there is no simple way to just make it apply to all buffers?  There's no
> "all-modes-hook" or anything like that?  This is so frustrating.  Someone
> must have needed this functionality before I did.

Actually, I'm not surprised at all that this functionality is missing:
it really doesn't make much sense to turn on a minor mode in _all_
buffers.  You seem to think that the buffers are only created when you
visit a file, but that is false.  Emacs creates temporary and hidden
buffers a lot behind your back, because a buffer is one of the most
efficient data structures in Emacs, so many operations that other
languages do in memory, Emacs Lisp does with buffers.  You really do
NOT want to turn your column marker mode in those buffers that Emacs
creates for its internal workings, because that could easily interfere
with Emacs operation.  One notable example of such buffers are the
" *Minibuf-N*" buffers used for the minibuffer.

Could you perhaps be more specific in the description of what you
want?  Specifically, what files do you visit in the buffers that you
must have in column marker mode?  Do these files have some special
extension, or turn on some specific major or minor modes, or have
something else in common?