Re: Run Shell Command on Buffer

From: reader
Subject: Re: Run Shell Command on Buffer
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2007 00:47:41 -0600

super-nub <scame@fastmail.fm> writes:

> Hi Pete,
>
> for example I want to execute `grep' on my buffer/file to get a
> survey of the section headings in my document (that I keep in a
> special format for this purpose), e.g.:
>
> $ egrep '^\s*-[[:upper:]]+' myfile
> $ -INTRODUCTION
> $     -BLA BLA
> $     -BLA 2
> $ -MAIN PART
> $     -MISCELLANEOUS
> $         -ETC BLA BLA

It looks like `M-x occur' may be what you want.  It will display all the
hits in a separate buffer.

Another nifty aspect is that you can use the hits provided as links to
jump to them in the parent buffer.

If I understood your usage M-x occur will be just the ticket.

If you like this tool... type M-x occur<spc><spc> to see other
formulations of using it.