Re: emms help

From: Hadron
Subject: Re: emms help
Date: Sat, 03 Mar 2007 03:54:11 +0100

> Hadron <hadronquark@gmail.com> writes:
>
> Hi Hadron,

Hi Tassilo,

Your translation/dict stuff is still going strong.

>> I hope so : the emms documentation is a lisp programmers dream. But
>> for someone who wants to use it ....
>
> We're trying to do our best to make it useful for everyone. If there are
> special documentation weaknesses, let us now so we can get it fixed
> before the next release.

How about a "how to"?

Obvious stuff like : Here is my music, how do I get emms to see it and
allow me to make a playlist? The documentation is lousy. Sorry :( It
really is semi-impenetrable. If you dont believe me, put someone in
front of it and ask them to make emms work! It took me half a day to
realise that the reason that it didnt work at all was down to its
default player list! Even though I had mplayer, it fell over when the
first one  in the list wasnt available. Who would have a default player
list of 5 players? Better to have none and document to add the one that
the user uses.

emms-browser : how does one use it? I open it and look at an empty buffer!

>> I would love to know how those screen shots of album covers happened -
>> it is almost impenetrable to me. Thanks for the pointers.
>
> ,----[ (info "(emms)Displaying Covers") ]
> | The browser will attempt to display cover images if they're available.
> | By default it looks for images cover_small.jpg, cover_med.jpg, etc.
> | Customize EMMS-BROWSER-COVERS to use your own covers. Note that you'll
> | probably want to resize your existing covers to particular sizes.
> | Suggested sizes are 100x100 for small, and 200x200 for medium.

Aha. Maybe I expected too much. I assumed it would look for them, like
every other music player out there, based on album name!

As you know, I love emacs, but it could/should be easier  to play a tune
:-;