RE: indentation question

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: indentation question
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2007 08:40:37 -0800

> > Please bear with me if I ask a silly question but I am looking for
> > some way to indent a block. For example, if I have a block
> >    aaaa
> >    bbbb
> >
> > Now, I want to bring this block to the left all togther. I have spent
> > about an hour so far but I could not find a way to do this. I know
> > this sounds so silly but any help will be really appreciated. Thanks.
>
> M-0 C-M-\

Another possibility is `M-- 3 C-x TAB', that is, give `indent-rigidly' an
argument of -3 to indent 3 characters to the left (really outdent). If you
want to outdent all the way, and you don't want to count how many chars that
is, just provide an extra-large argument, such as -99.

`indent-rigidly' and `indent-region' (`C-M-\') are slightly different,
however - check the doc to see which you really want here. In particular,
the arg to `indent-rigidly' is relative (how many chars to indent/outdent);
the arg to `indent-region' is absolute (what column to move the text to).