Re: Converting German Umlauts to LaTeX

From: Daniel Rubin
Subject: Re: Converting German Umlauts to LaTeX
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2007 12:25:14 +0200

Christian Herenz wrote:

Hello,
I am totally new to this eMail-List, so I hope this question does not seem dumb, or so..

I write my LaTeX documents usually in emacs, that works very fine at my personal computer. Since I am german, I use the UTF-8 encoding. I load the package for UTF-8 encoding in TeX simply with /usepackage[utf-8]{inputenc}, which really improves typing a lot (I am german, so I use frequently umlauts and the szlig).

However, at the computer-terminals in our institute, they do not support UTF-8. LaTeX gives me an error-message, that [utf-8] is not supported by inputenc.

My idea was to convert the document into an UTF-8 free file. So that all occurences of umlauts will be converted into the LaTeX equivalent (e.g. ö to "o), and I could also compile the file on the debain-boxes at our instiute.

I think that this could be achived with a few lines of code, but I am somewhat new to customize emacs with elisp (havent done anything yet), so could you please give me a hint or point me where to look.

Thanks in advance,
Christian from Germany

Hi Christian,

it *might* be as easy as fetching the file `utf8.def' from a ctan server and putting it in your personal `texmf' dir (say, `~/texmf') to teach LaTeX UTF-8.

As for the conversion of your files, I have no better idea than some replace-string sessions. There is a tool called `recode', but I have no experience with it.

Also, have a look at `Input Methods' in the Emacs info manual.

Hope this is of some use, have fun
----Daniel

--
Daniel Rubin