Re: elisp beginner's parens question ??

From: Thien-Thi Nguyen
Subject: Re: elisp beginner's parens question ??
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2007 17:41:43 +0200

() William Case <billlinux@rogers.com>
() Fri, 27 Apr 2007 09:58:10 -0400

   (That could just be a beginners lack of correct
   search criteria.)

it's ok to look all over the place for the source code, as long
as you eventually find it: <http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/>.

   can then move a new fact from "memorized" to "known" and its
   there in my head pretty much for good.

sometimes it's fun let the known fade, as well.

   bound 'show-paren-mode' to S-F4 to toggle 'show-paren-mode' on
   and off.  It helps me to visually check each expression and
   sub-expression for balanced parens.

personally, when writing code, i use M-( C-M-o CODE M-) for the
first time (recursively ;-).  after that, C-M-k, C-M-t and other
sexp-oriented stuff.  in this way, balance is never lost, and no
checking is required.  i find M-^ and the following useful, too:

(global-set-key "\C-c_" 'raise-sexp)

i chose underscore because raising a child "buries" the parent.
but don't take my word on it, just ask any parent!

thi