Re: How old are Emacs users?

From: Tyler Smith
Subject: Re: How old are Emacs users?
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2007 18:10:28 GMT

On 2007-04-27, Peter Lee <pete.a.lee@gmail.com> wrote:

> If you don't like any of the extra display stuff.. toolbars, scrollbars..
>
> you could use "-Q -D -load ~/.emacs" to avoid the "flicker"
>
> On linux I typically `alias e = "emacs -Q -D -load ~/.emacs"`
> On windows I just make a shortcut for the same.

Neither -Q or -D are recognised options for me, nor can I find
descriptions of them in the emacs printed manual or man
pages... lowercase q may be what you're thinking of, but that seems
unlikely with -load ~/.emacs, and lowercase d doesn't make sense in
this context.

This flicker everyone is talking about - is that the brief flash of
toolbar and repositioning of the emacs frame that occurs in the first
second or two of booting up? Seems like a lot of bother over something
so ephemeral. Not that I'd complain if I could eliminate it, but
hardly something to get excited about.

The discussion has been very helpful though, as I've now discovered
initial-frame-alist, which lead to special-display- et al. That's
going to be very handy when I sort it out to my needs!

Cheers,

Tyler

ps. regarding the topic of this thread: I'm 34, been using emacs for
twoish years, initially as the best alternative to the MSWindows GUI
for R on GNU/Linux, now for pretty much everything. I'm a botanist,
which confuses the compsci people I meet almost as much as my use of
emacs confuses my botanist colleagues.