Re: Emacs 21 or snapshot?

From: Sebastian Tennant
Subject: Re: Emacs 21 or snapshot?
Date: Fri, 04 May 2007 18:01:39 +0300

Quoth Hadron <hadronquark@gmail.com>:
> Xavier Maillard <xma@gnu.org> writes:

>>    > Hi Mark,
>>    >
>>    >    As someone wishing to learn Emacs would you recommend I install
>> Emacs 21
>>    >    or Emacs-snapshot?
>>    >
>>    > You'd better stick with the current stable aka GNU Emacs 21.4
>>
>>    It is so much worse in utf-8 support alone that I wonder what you base
>>    that recommendation on.
>>
>> Snapshot is a development version whereas GNU Emacs 21 is a
>> *stable* version.
>
> So?
>
> It's not like the snapshot is falling over every 3 seconds.

I can second that, snapshot is incredibly stable for a development
version.  I've been using it for months (for the aforementioned UTF
support) without a single noticeable hitch.

As for the 21.4 versus snapshot debate, I believe I'm right in saying
that a stable version needs to be installed before snapshot can be
installed.

On my Debian box at any rate, both are installed and I can choose to
run whichever I like, or both simultaneously or...  you get the point.

In short, install them both, but use snapshot.  It works perfectly as
far as I can tell, so why not use it?

Sebastian