Re: creating .rtf files

From: Tim X
Subject: Re: creating .rtf files
Date: Fri, 18 May 2007 13:57:57 +1000

thorne <thinly-disguised@spam-sucks.foo> writes:

> Amy Templeton <amy.g.templeton@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I don't know about rich text format (there's probably an emacs
>> library for this somewhere), but you *can* save in enriched text if
>> you use enriched-mode.
>
> As a (perhaps) aside, a year or so ago when i looked into it, i was
> not able to find any programs to import enriched text.  I modified the
> standard little C program that converts to html for my uses, but the
> resulting html doesn't preserve text formatting.  `enriched-mode'
> would be a lot more useful to me if it could be easily converted for
> use with OpenOffice or LaTeX or some such.
>
> I recently spent gobs of time futzing around with trying to get text
> written in Emacs to programatically turn itself into properly
> formatted fiction manuscripts.  It involved all kinds of hacks with
> ps-print and writing a whole preprocessor and so on.  In the end, i
> pretty much have come to the realization that Emacs just isn't a
> WYSIWYG word processor--it's a text editor.
>
> So having said that, if you really need .rtf, maybe something
> not-emacs would work better.  And if you're married to using Emacs
> like i am, and if what you're doing is pretty straight-forward, maybe
> something like latex2rtf would work....  Or importing plain text into
> a word processor after the fact and adding your formatting.
>
> If your needs are _very_ simple (or you are crazy), you can actually
> google the rtf 1.0 spec and write a converter in lisp just for your
> own specific needs, which is what i did.
>
> --
> þ    theron tlåx    þ
> (compose-mail (concat "thorne@" (rot13 "gvzoeny") ".net"))

Although I've not looked at it, I did see a post a while back from someone who
was working on a mode for reading and writing documents in open document
format. Therre is also a pseudo wysiwyg mode for working with latex.

Personally, I use auctex for more formal documents, which I can then transform
into various formats and muse mode for less formal stuff. I find the
combination of auctex and latex extremely powerful. However, a real open
document format mode would be really great as this would facilitate
collaborative work with people using things like open office.

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au