Re: Why doesn't Emacs have a horizontal scroll bar?

From: Mathias Dahl
Subject: Re: Why doesn't Emacs have a horizontal scroll bar?
Date: Tue, 03 Jul 2007 09:36:46 +0200

<brianjiang@gdnt.com.cn> writes:

> Why doesn't Emacs have a horizontal scroll bar?

Probably because noone needed it so much that he/she decided to
implement it.

> Sometimes I have to use other editor to edit something just because
> emacs has not horizontal scroll bar and it is not very convenient to
> do some tasks.

When I started using Emacs I also thought I needed a horizontal scroll
bar, but in reality I have never needed one. I either use
`scroll-left' and `scroll-right' (I use the Ctrl + PageDown and Ctrl +
Page Up keybindings) when text is truncated or I let the text be
wrapped.

Have you tried `scroll-left' and `scroll-right'? Does it not work for
you? If so, what are the use cases where you would need a horizontal
scroll bar?