Re: Why doesn't Emacs have a horizontal scroll bar?

From: Amy Templeton
Subject: Re: Why doesn't Emacs have a horizontal scroll bar?
Date: Tue, 03 Jul 2007 12:01:26 -0400

<brianjiang@gdnt.com.cn> wrote:
> Also, I think "Truncate long lines in this buffer" is good enough
> too. It is not "word wrap". It truncate the words at any position
> (e.g., "words" can be truncate to "wo" in current line and "ords"
> in the next line.) It is really make the text difficult to read.
> Any solution for this? (auto-fill can wrap the text in a word
> basis, but 1). It doesn't wrap the word based on the window
> width, 2). It will modify the file while we don't want to change
> anything.)

There's a mode called longlines-mode you might like. You seem to be
working with files that for some reason can't be wrapped, which in
and of itself tends to make things difficult. What this mode does
is to change the *appearance* of the buffer such that long lines
are wrapped at the fill-column, but in actuality it takes an actual
newline (<RET>) to finish a line when the actual file is saved. I'd
suggest checking it out (M-x longlines-mode <RET>).

Amy

--
You can learn many things from children.  How much patience you have,
for instance.