Re: Locating the default colors used by emacs

From: Seweryn Kokot
Subject: Re: Locating the default colors used by emacs
Date: Wed, 04 Jul 2007 09:24:12 +0200

tigerleopard <tigerleopard1@lycos.com> writes:

> I am trying to find out where the color information from emacs is located. I
> looked into the .emacs
> file from my user and the root, but both are empty. Someone told me to look
> into the Xdefault, but my distribution doesn't have it. I know that I can
> put the colors settings in the .emacs file, but the thing is that I don't
> know the color that I want. What I want to do, is to copy the foreground and
> background colors being used by root to my user.
> So, I want to know if there is a specific file that store some standard
> colors in the case of the .emacs files being empty, or if this is
> distribution dependent.
> Or, if there is a command that shows the colors being used.
> And one thing that I have curiosity about, is why when I give a su to obtain
> administrative privileges, emacs starts with the same colors than my user,
> unlike when I login from the beginning as root.
> Thanks in advance for all the help.

just create .emacs file and put something like this

          (set-background-color "DarkSlateGray")
          (set-foreground-color "Wheat")
          (set-face-background 'modeline "lightgoldenrod2")
          (set-face-foreground 'modeline "DarkSlateGray")
          (set-cursor-color "Orchid")
          (set-face-foreground 'font-lock-comment-face "Gray")
          (set-face-foreground 'font-lock-string-face "Gold3")
          (set-face-foreground 'font-lock-function-name-face "LightBlue")
          (set-face-foreground 'font-lock-keyword-face "cyan1")
          (set-face-foreground 'font-lock-type-face "Violet")
          (set-face-foreground 'font-lock-builtin-face "Cyan")
          (set-face-foreground 'font-lock-variable-name-face "Gold")
          (set-face-foreground 'font-lock-constant-face "Magenta")
          (set-face-foreground 'scroll-bar "Wheat")
          (set-face-background 'scroll-bar "lightgoldenrod2")
          (set-face-foreground 'tool-bar "Wheat")
          (set-face-background 'tool-bar "lightgoldenrod2")
          (set-face-foreground 'font-lock-builtin-face "Cyan")

the list of predefined colors is shown typing M-x list-colors-display

and you can also check and change the colors of things by
M-x customize-face

regards,
Seweryn