Re: accents

From: Andrés Ghigliazza
Subject: Re: accents
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2007 10:47:41 -0300

Pascal,

Thanks for you answer, but I have not luck yet.

I tried the command set-terminal-coding-system with both (I guess that
I am using ISO-8859-1, but I can't remember where to see it). With
ISO-8859-1, accents and "ñ" are seen right, but I can't type them (the
same for the default). With UTF-8, neither I can see them, nor I can
type them.

Any other idea? I recall you, that the problem is just in windowed
terminal, and it happens in local and remote hosts with ssh (in normal
terminal, it works perfectly in local and remote hosts).

Thanks very much,

tizo

On 7/16/07, Pascal Bourguignon <pjb@informatimago.com> wrote:
"Andrés Ghigliazza" <tizone@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi there,
>
> I have a problem with emacs and accents. Emacs works perfectly with
> accents in a text console, and in graphics mode. However, in a
> windowed console (emacs -nw), I can't write  accented letters
> (although they can be seen perfeclty). Moreover, trying to write
> accents while executing emacs in a remote host (with ssh), in a
> windowed console, does not work too, but it works perfectly in the
> remote host if executing with a text console.
>
> The same symptoms happens in two Debian Etch computers, one with GNOME
> and the other with KDE.
>
> Can anybody help me?

The first question, is what encoding does your terminal use to encode
non ASCII characters when you enter them?  (ISO-8859-1, UTF-8, KOI-8,
etc).

Then, there is the problem that the Meta key can be encoded either by
a prefix ESC, or by setting the high-bit of the ASCII code.  If you
want to transmit characters encoded in a 8-bit character code, you
need to configure your terminal (or terminal emulator) to send the
Meta key as a prefix escape, not as a 8th-bit set.

Once you've identified the encoding used by your terminal, you can
configure emacs to process it with something like:

    (setq default-terminal-coding-system 'iso-8859-1)
or:
    (setq default-terminal-coding-system 'utf-8)

or whatever it is.

NOTE: The most fundamental particles in this product are held
together by a "gluing" force about which little is currently known
and whose adhesive power can therefore not be permanently
guaranteed.