Re: finding the face of a popup

From: Tim X
Subject: Re: finding the face of a popup
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2007 18:55:51 +1000

Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@nyu.edu> writes:

> At Tue, 28 Aug 2007 19:29:50 +1000 Tim X <timx@nospam.dev.null> wrote:
>
>> Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@nyu.edu> writes:

>>> Thank you.  I was able to modify the color theme to fix that face.
>>>
>>> But I do hope there is a better way to find out the face of a popup
>>> than asking on the list.
>>>

>> In emacs 22 and higher, if you put point on the face, M-x customize-face
>> will default to that face under point.
>>
>> However, a useful an more general approach is to use
>>
>> ,----[ C-h f list-faces-display RET ]
>
> I don't see how either of these would help (I have used both before).
>
> I can't "put point on the face" since the popup goes away when I am
> not on the place that *triggers* the popup.  That is the entire
> problem.

and I gave you the solution. With list-faces-display you don't need to put
point anywhere to find the name of the face you are interested in.

If you do a list-faces-display you get a buffer that on one side lists the
name of all the defined faces (including tooltip) and on the other side a
sample of what that face looks like.

All you have to do to find the name of the face is scroll through the
buffer until you see a sample which matches the face your looking for (in
your case, a face with the same foreground and background colours, then you
either hit enter with point on the face name or use the mouse (instructions
at the top of the buffer) and you get a customize-face buffer where you can
set the foreground/background (and many other things.

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au