Re: doc-view.el blog posting

From: Bill Clementson
Subject: Re: doc-view.el blog posting
Date: Mon, 03 Sep 2007 11:58:31 -0700

Hi Peter,

> Am 03.09.2007 um 02:41 schrieb Bill Clementson:
>
>> I haven't found any good OS X options for outputting OGG format
>> audio or video
>
> Have you found and tried Perian? http://trac.perian.org/, http://
> svn.perian.org. They add plug-ins for (the) QuickTime (framework) to
> enable the use of additional audio, video, and encoding formats, that
> even an elderly tool like qtplay can now play Ogg. Probably this also
> allows to convert to other formats.

I had a look at the Perian site. I didn't see anything that indicated
that they support OGG video capture output.

> The Fink project offers parts of recordMyDesktop, pyGTK and pyQt, or
> libogg and libvorbis. The biggest obstacles are libtheora and
> libXfixes, which is from X11R7 – maybe in Leopard? Other pre-
> requisites, at least for some example player programmes, are libsdl
> and liboss (which then needs libesound and libaudiofile and ...),
> both (all) supplied by Fink. These example players seem to be not
> necessary since VLC or Helix Player (Real Player 10) provide their
> ability.

Wouldn't libtheora be necessary for outputting OGG format videos? In
any case, I'm not interested in writing my own screenrecording
utility, I just want to use one. So far, the best one that I've found
for Mac OS X is SnapZ Pro. It's commercial and it doesn't produce OGG
output; but, I guess I'll just keep using that until I find some
alternative that is open source and produces OGG output and runs under
Mac OS X.

Thanks for the suggestions.

- Bill