Re: doc-view.el blog posting

From: Bill Clementson
Subject: Re: doc-view.el blog posting
Date: Sun, 02 Sep 2007 17:41:06 -0700

Hi Tassilo,

> Bill Clementson <billclem@gmail.com> writes:
>>> It is and I like the video. It would have been cooler not to choose
>>> QuickTime format though ;)
>>
>> What would have been a better format and what utility would you have
>> used to do the movie? I've tried a number of different ones and I've
>> gotten the best results with QuickTime format using SnapZ Pro on Mac
>> OS X. However, I'm not an expert in video utilities/formats so would
>> appreciate recommendations.
>
> I think a quite good tool for screencasts is recordmydesktop [1].  It
> produces OGG files where video is encoded with Theora and sound is
> encoded with Vorbis.

Unfortunately, recordmydesktop is linux-only and I use Mac OS X. I
haven't found any port of recordmydesktop for OS X and none of the
other open source Mac options for screencasts seems to support OGG
file output. I once did an audio recording of Gregor Kiczales
(http://bc.tech.coop/blog/060709.html) and someone converted it to OGG
format; however, he used a linux utility and I haven't found any good
OS X options for outputting OGG format audio or video.

I was playing around with vnc2swf
(http://www.unixuser.org/~euske/vnc2swf/) to see whether I could use
that instead (it outputs screencasts in Flash swf format); however, it
only worked some of the time and audio syncing (with the video) was a
bit "problematic".

- Bill