Re: maximum buffer size exceeded

From: Tim X
Subject: Re: maximum buffer size exceeded
Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2007 18:20:00 +1000

Glenn Morris <rgm+news@stanford.edu> writes:

> Daniel C. Bastos wrote:
>
>> I'm dealing with an INBOX of size 252 MiB and I expect it to double on
>> my next mail downloads. I use VM under the GNU emacs.
>
> Out of interest, do you find this usable? I find VM intolerably slow
> (on fast machines) with mail folders larger than a few MB. Perhaps
> it's my font-locking which is to blame...

I have no problems with VM speed and I've got some fairly large
mailboxes. I have got the indexing of mail folders enabled and I use the
perl modules rather than the included VM binaries for doing
encoding/decoding etc. I also use quite a few extensions, including pcrisis
and add on packages for font-locking the summary buffer and messages window
etc.

I don't use VMs ipop/imap support, preferring to use other programs to
fetch my mail from various places, run it through spamassassin and use
procmail.to sort it into various folders. I've also been trying out vm 8.x
and the latest bleeding edge dev tree.

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au