Re: How to scroll while keeping the position of the point with respect t

From: Yevgeniy Makarov
Subject: Re: How to scroll while keeping the position of the point with respect to the text?
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2007 13:34:40 +0200

> May be there are other configurations affecting this.

You are right. I had (setq scroll-preserve-screen-position 1) in my
.emacs. (The reason for this is that when this variable is just t and
the point is on the top line, the scroll-down command without
arguments does not move the point wrt the text , but it moves the
point to the bottom of the window, which I did not like.) When
scroll-preserve-screen-position is t, (scroll-down 1) does not move
the point wrt the text, as you said, and this is what I also wanted.

Concerning scroll-in-place, I knew about it and it works well. I just
thought that maybe since 1994 the same functionality has been included
in Emacs.

Thank you,
Yevgeniy