Re: Building 22.1, on Ubuntu

From: Dave Pawson
Subject: Re: Building 22.1, on Ubuntu
Date: Sat, 8 Sep 2007 11:54:27 +0100

On 08/09/2007, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:
> > From: David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org>
> > Date: Sat, 08 Sep 2007 11:51:45 +0200
> >
> > How about actually reading the messages configure gives you?  It tells
> > you about every single development library it can't find and/or use.
> >
> > And would it really be hard to imagine that without X11 development
> > libraries you won't get X11 support?
>
> He asked for help.  He's obviously not an experienced tinkerer.

Admitted, I'm coming across as a dummy. I am.
But then I'm sure David needed the dummies guide at one time.

> Dave, please look at the report that `configure' displays when it
> finishes, and make sure you have all the required packages so that
> `configure' finds them.  In particular, without X11 headers and
> libraries you will get only a text-terminal version of Emacs.

Not too helpful.

Should Emacs use mmap(2) for buffer allocation?         no
  What window system should Emacs use?                    none
  What toolkit should Emacs use?                          none
  Where do we find X Windows header files?                NONE
  Where do we find X Windows libraries?                   NONE
  Does Emacs use -lXaw3d?                                 no
  Does Emacs use -lXpm?                                   no
  Does Emacs use -ljpeg?                                  no
  Does Emacs use -ltiff?                                  no
  Does Emacs use -lungif?                                 no
  Does Emacs use -lpng?                                   no
  Does Emacs use X toolkit scroll bars?                   no

I guess I need to translate these into something that Ubuntu understands.
Back to google.

Thanks Eli.

regards

--