Re: xcscope.el slow - linux kernel

From: Rafal Kurcz
Subject: Re: xcscope.el slow - linux kernel
Date: Sun, 09 Sep 2007 02:06:00 -0700

Thank You for an answer
> I guess you mean "much faster than 2.0 seconds" in order to match the 0.1
> seconds
> from the bare bones cscope interface. xcscope.el is just an interface to
> cscope,
> it can't be faster.

In fact I don't expect it to be faster but it looks like the interface
is at least 20 times slower than the bare cscope.
I think it is too much. Furthermore searching architecture-dependent
symbols (e.g. symbols from arch/alpha/mm/init.c) takes about 8 secs on
my Pentium 4 2.4 GHz (80 times slower than the bare cscope).
Cscope shows the list of candidates to jump in less than 0.1 secs. Why
not just take this list into emacs and display it ?
It seems not to be so time consuming task.

> You could hack cscope-indexer to include the "-q" or even the "-k" option
I've already done all those tricks with "-q", "-b" and "-k" options.
Unfortunately it didn't help.

Thank You for any help.