Re: Does emacs have a line numbering feature?

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: Does emacs have a line numbering feature?
Date: Sun, 09 Sep 2007 22:14:47 +0200

Michael Trausch <"mike|s/\x40/\./g;s/|.*|/\x40/g;|trausch"@us> writes:

Hi Michael,

>> (setq line-number-mode t)
>> (setq column-number-mode t)
>
> Yeah, I already had that in, and it works.  However, if I do something
> similar for linum-mode, it seems to just ignore it.

Yes, because setting a minor mode variable to activate it is the wrong
thing to do.  It might work sometimes, but generally you should either
customize the variable or use the minor mode function.  So the code
above should better be

  (line-number-mode 1)
  (column-number-mode 1)

because by convention a minor mode is turned on if the argument is
positive.

Bye,
Tassilo
--
Chuck  Norris  was  banned  from  competitive bullriding  after  a  1992
exhibition in San Antonio, when he  rode the bull 1,346 miles from Texas