Re: Multi-Frame/Window Debugging Problem

From: Nordlöw
Subject: Re: Multi-Frame/Window Debugging Problem
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2007 05:00:26 -0700

On 6 Sep, 12:09, Nick Roberts <nick...@snap.net.nz> wrote:
> Nordlöw writes:
>
>  > When I try to run the new multi-frame/window GDB-interface and issue a
>  > command in the gud terminal buffer my Emacs (daily CVS snapshot)
>  > version hangs.
>
> Is this from the trunk or the EMACS_22_BASE branch?  What is your
> configuration? (M-x report-emacs-bug should provide these details.
>
>  > The problem arises for vanilla Emacs, that is when I run "\emacs -q"
>  > and then type M-x gdba and give the default argument "gdb --annotate=3
>  > <prog>". It feels like it has something to do with gdb's inter-process-
>  > communication since I can break it when I press C-g and my CPU-load is
>  > zero during lookup. I have seen that the argument should be either
>  > Emacs Info Manual says --annotate=3 but vanilla Emacs M-x gdba
>  > defaults to gdb -annotate=3 <program>. I have tried both these
>  > variants but none helps.
>
> Perhaps it thinks GDB is running.  What's the value of gud-running?  Are
> the tool-bar icons greyed out?  What's it say about status in the square
> brackets of the mode line for the GUD buffer?  Do you have anything in a
> .gdbinit file?  If yes, what happens if you run
> "gdb -nx --annotate=3 <prog>"?
>
> If things still fail please set gdb-enable-debug to t
> (evaluate (setq gdb-enable-debug t)), do M-x gdb and start GDB then post
> the value of gdb-debug-log to emacs-de...@gnu.org.
>
> --
> Nick                                          http://www.inet.net.nz/~nickrob

Value of gud-running is nil. The tool-bar icons are *not* greyed out.

If I run "gdb -nx --annotate=3 <prog>" it works! Great!

I had previously changed my .gdbinit file to contain
set ann 1
because gdb-valgrind-integration rqeuired that then.
This seems to the source of my gdba-problem (as -nx overrides that).

Many Thanks for the brilliant help,
Nordlöw