emacsclientw not working

From: Ted Dennison
Subject: emacsclientw not working
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2007 08:51:39 -0700

I'm running on Window XP, and recently upgraded to emacs 22.1. I
downloaded the binary edition from ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/windows/
.  I made extensive use of gnuclientw in the past, and am now trying
to switch over to emacsclientw. I'm not having much luck.

I put (server-start) at the top of my .emacs, and it appears to be
starting correctly. The only message I see in messages is:

However, when I run emacsclientw on a file, I get the following:
---------
emacsclient: No socket or alternate editor.  Please use:

        --server-file      (or environment variable EMACS_SERVER_FILE)
        --alternate-editor (or environment variable ALTERNATE_EDITOR)
---------

I can of course add "-a emacs", but that just starts a new emacs for
every file (even if I leave the first one up).

Does anyone have any idea what I may be doing wrong here?