Re: My emacs was upgraded and I am a novice again

From: Dave Pawson
Subject: Re: My emacs was upgraded and I am a novice again
Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2007 08:18:14 +0100

On 23/09/2007, Tim X <timx@nospam.dev.null> wrote:

> This doesn't mean it isn't a good idea to try alternatives that may help
> overcome this limitation of spoken language. My recommendation would be to
> put a page up on the emacs wiki. This would allow others, possibly from
> different backgrounds or for whom english is a second language, to add
> additional entries, examples or clarification. I find the emacs wiki a
> great resource and often spend a few hours browsing it and learning new
> techniques/ideas. Often, this involves using features I was aware of, but
> in ways I had not considered.

OK. good a place as any Tim. Thanks.

> The only request I would make is to please include links to the relevant
> manual entry rather than re-write or re-do what is in the manual.

That's my problem Tim. I don't know whats in the manual, simply because
I find it hard to use.

One of
> the biggest areas of confusion that I see with emacs is all the out of date
> pages that advise people to do exactly the wrong thing. These pages are
> seldom as up-to-date as the emacs manual.

I'm suggesting that the manual be available fully in navigable html,
derived from an XML master. The info files could be similarly derived.
There's a lot more experience of I18N use in XML than in texinfo I'd guess.

Eli pointed out that the actual elisp files contain bits which are
used in the manual.
My proposal there was, as the lisp is being packaged for delivery, the
'bits' needed
in the elisp be 'included', by some sort of pre-processing step
(what's the elisp
for #include?) such that *all* documentation is single sourced for translation
and use in all formats.

regards

--
Dave Pawson