Re: an inconvenient difference in Emacs 22

From: Ken Goldman
Subject: Re: an inconvenient difference in Emacs 22
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2007 16:41:33 -0400

Kevin Rodgers wrote:
Steve Newcomb wrote:

I'm curious about this usage of the word "revert".  "Revert" normally
connotes some sort of retrograde motion.  As far as I know, it never
connotes forward motion at all, much less forward motion undertaken to
catch up with someone else's forward motion.  But, until I'm
corrected, that's how I'll understand "revert" in the context of Emacs.

I think that revert-buffer was originally developed for the case where
the user wanted to discard the changes he'd made in a modified but
unsaved buffer, reverting its contents to the original disk file.

Personally, I find that it's great for watching log files.