Arabic font issues

From: David Brodbeck
Subject: Arabic font issues
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2007 11:26:58 -0700

Hopefully this isn't a FAQ.

I'm trying to figure out how to get UTF-8 Arabic text to display in Emacs 22.1.1. I currently get hollow boxes instead, which makes me think it's a font issue, but I'm not sure how to correct it. I do have X11 Arabic fonts installed.

I'm having this problem both on a RedHat Enterprise Linux 5 system and on a Debian Etch system, so it doesn't seem to be distribution- specific. On the RedHat system I compiled Emacs from source; on the Debian system I used a package from http://emacs.orebokech.com.

Any pointers would be appreciated. I tried doing a web search but mostly found references to doing it in Emacs 21.