Re: emacs -nw conflicts with (set-foreground-color "xxx")

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: emacs -nw conflicts with (set-foreground-color "xxx")
Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2007 23:50:27 +0200

> From: Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa@Web.DE>
> Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2007 11:09:57 +0200
> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
>
> (Personally I don't see any reason why GNU Emacs, when running
> without windows inside a terminal emulation, should use other colours
> then those I've chosen for the host, i.e. the terminal emulation.

Because it simply cannot know what you've chosen.

As I explained elsewhere in this thread, Emacs simply asks the
terminal to display color number N and _assumes_ that each number
corresponds to the color in the normal ANSI 8-color sequence.  There's
no general-purpose API (AFAIK) to query Posix-standard terminal driver
for the actual colors that correspond to each color number.