buffer for unopened file?

From: David L
Subject: buffer for unopened file?
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2007 07:27:44 -0700

I'd like to be able to give emacs a big list of filenames
and have each file appear as if it has been visited with
respect to having it appear in my buffer list.  But only
when changing to that buffer do I want it to actually open
the file.  Is that possible?  It takes a minute or so to open
all of the files and wastes memory to open them all.  But
I like to have a menu of the files I might be needing.

Thanks!