RE: buffer for unopened file?

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: buffer for unopened file?
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2007 10:21:58 -0700

> > You don't need to do all that. Just use Dired. Put this in your .emacs:
> > (require 'dired-x)
> >
> > Then, in Dired:
> >
> > 1. Mark each of the files you want to visit (without displaying).
>
> I'm no expert on dired-x (and apologies if C-u F doesn't actually visit
> any files) but I think he wants the list of files to hand without even
> _visiting_ them, let alone displaying them.
>
> "It takes a minute or so to open all of the files and wastes memory to
>  open them all."

Dunno what he really meant. He said this:

  "have each file appear as if it has been visited with
   respect to having it appear in my buffer list"

So he wants it in his buffer list.

But you're right that he also said this:

  "be able to give emacs a big list of filenames"

and this:

  "It takes a minute or so to open all of the files and
   wastes memory to open them all."

Making files available in the buffer list means visiting them, even if they
are not displayed. So if by "open" he means visit, then what he wants is
impossible (put them in the buffer list without visiting them).

But if by "open" he means display, and if he doesn't really care about
supplying a "list of filenames" to Emacs, then my suggestion should be
useful. The file names will all appear in the buffer list, but the files
will not be displayed. File display time is saved, but not file opening
time.

If he wants to provide an explicit list and not visit the files, then your
suggestion is appropriate. He will see the files listed, as he requested,
but not in the buffer list.

So I think he's gotten some help for his problem from both of us, depending
on what he really wants. ;-)