Re: rebinding ESC key

From: Amy Templeton
Subject: Re: rebinding ESC key
Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2007 16:05:49 -0500

don provan <dprovan@comcast.net> wrote:
> To this day, I occasionally find myself running emacs on systems or
> over communications paths where the META key doesn't work, so I have
> to fall back to ESC-] or whatever. Am I the only one that still
> encounters such klunky environments? Or am I just the only one old
> enough to think about using ESC because I grew up with it as the only
> option?

I didn't grow up with it as the only option (I started using Emacs a
couple of years ago), but it has on occasion come in handy--for example,
on my school's Macs (which are the closest thing they have to a usable
computer) they do have Emacs installed--but it's version 21.3 (not even
21.4!), with no graphical support, and there's no working ALT/META key,
so I have to settle for ESC. As a rule, I just try not to use the school
computers.

So no, you're not the only one who finds ESC useful on occasion :-).

Amy

--
I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.