Re: Opening file in UTF-8 mode automatically

From: Reiner Steib
Subject: Re: Opening file in UTF-8 mode automatically
Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2007 19:38:45 +0100

On Sat, Nov 24 2007, spamfilteraccount@gmail.com wrote:

> I need to edit some UTF-8 files and it's very annoying emacs doesn't
> detect it automatically (I have to reopen them as utf-8 manually) and
> sometimes I notice it only after I already edited and saved the file
> which messes up the formatting.
>
> I tried prefer-coding-system utf-8, but it didn't help.
>
> I can't put lisp code into the files, because they are data files.
>
> Is there a definitive way to do it? The BOM is at the beginning of the
> files, so Emacs could detect it automatically.
>
> It's emacs 22.

`auto-coding-regexp-alist' in Emacs 22 already has an entry for the
BOM: ("\\`\xEF\xBB\xBF" . utf-8).

Either you have removed this entry or there is a bug.  If the latter,
please report it as a bug (M-x report-emacs-bug RET) along with a
small gzipped sample document and a recipe starting from "emacs -Q" to
reproduce the problem.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,