Re: Opening file in UTF-8 mode automatically

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: Opening file in UTF-8 mode automatically
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2007 22:54:49 -0800 (PST)

On Nov 27, 10:47 pm, Eli Zaretskii <e...@gnu.org> wrote:
> > From: Zhang Wei <id.b...@gmail.com>
> > Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2007 15:30:23 +0800
>
> > "spamfilteracco...@gmail.com" <spamfilteracco...@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > [...]
>
> > >   default-enable-multibyte-characters: nil
>
> > I think this variable should be set to "t" to open a utf-8 file.
>
> Yes, of course!
>
> To the OP: why are you running Emacs in the unibyte mode?

I don't know. :)

I checked it and I did start emacs with --unibyte. I set it ages ago
and completely forgot about it. I didn't edit utf encoded files in the
past, so it was no problem.

I removed the --unibyte option and now everything is working fine.
UTF-8 files are opened in UTF-8 mode automatically.

Thanks for the help everyone.