Re: Opening file in UTF-8 mode automatically

From: Xah Lee
Subject: Re: Opening file in UTF-8 mode automatically
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2007 14:49:23 -0800 (PST)

Not sure about auto-detecting, but i work with utf-8 daily and never
have a problem.

I do, however, set my emacs to use utf-8 by default.

To set your file encoding in emacs, use the menu "Options→Mule
(Multilingual Environment)→Set Language Environment".

After you've pulled the menu, be sure to also pull the menu command
"Options→Save Options" so that emacs remembers your settings.

or

Alt+x set-language-environment UTF-8

See also:
* Emacs and Unicode tips