Re: emacs not finding Xdefaults

From: rustom
Subject: Re: emacs not finding Xdefaults
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2007 06:13:00 -0800 (PST)

On Nov 29, 1:07 am, James Cloos <cl...@jhcloos.com> wrote:

> rustom> I have a .Xdefaults file containing things like
>
> rustom> Strangely when X starts it does not use these settings but if I
> rustom> start emacs-snapshot-gtk from the shell it finds them.
>
> There are two ways an ~/.Xdefaults file can get used.
>
> Many server startup script merge any ~/.Xdefaults files into the
> server's resource db.  This finds ~/.Xdefaults files on the box where
> the X server process runs.  (That distinction becomes relevant whenever
> remote clients are run using the local server for their DISPLAY.)
>
> Also, libX11 will load in any ~/.Xdefaults files it finds whenever a
> client starts up.  Except that it will ignore ~/.Xdefaults if any
> resources are already in the server's resource db.
>
> Finally, libX11 will also look for and load resources from
> any ~/.Xdefaults-$(hostname) files it finds.
>
> In the case of remote clients, libX11 of course only sees files on the
> box where the client is running.
>
> If you use ~/.Xdefaults-$(hostname) (of course replacing $(hostname)
> with the output of /bin/hostname) instead of ~/.Xdefaults you can be
> sure it is loaded every time a client starts.

Cant say I understand all the subtleties.  What I can say is that this
is one single PC. So how separated client and server issues should
arise is not clear.

> I usually keep a symlink ~/.Xdefaults-$(hostname) pointing to .Xdefaults
> to make management easier.

Well I can do that. But as I said I dont fully understand what you've
said (and the problem solved itself (not something a programmer feels
too happy about (sorry for the lispy () ))) so rather I'll bear your
advice in mind and the next time I have a similar problem I'll try
this.
Thanks

Rustom