Re: emacs not finding Xdefaults

From: reader
Subject: Re: emacs not finding Xdefaults
Date: Fri, 07 Dec 2007 11:11:18 -0600

rustom <rustompmody@gmail.com> writes:

>> On Nov 29, 1:07 am, James Cloos <cl...@jhcloos.com> wrote:
>>
>> > I usually keep a symlink ~/.Xdefaults-$(hostname) pointing to .Xdefaults
>> > to make management easier.
>>
> On Nov 29, 7:13 pm, rustom <rustompm...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Well I can do that....
>> ... the next time I have a similar problem I'll try this.
>
> Well the problem recurred and I tried this but this did not work.
> What worked was a. xrdb < .Xdefaults followed by reboot (logout not
> enough)
>
> What triggered? Dunno but I think it was having one system firefox
> (iceape actually) interleaved with the newest firefox 3 alpha5.

Not sure if this might be true on debian but on some linux distros the
.Xdefaults file became obsolete in favor of .[Xx]resources some time
back.

I symlink an ~/.Xresources file to ~/.Xdefaults so both bases are
covered.

(ln -s ~/.Xdefaults ~/.Xresources  - just on the off chance you didn't
know how)