Re: Can Emacs beat NetBeans or Eclipse?

From: Lennart Borgman (gmail)
Subject: Re: Can Emacs beat NetBeans or Eclipse?
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2007 18:04:06 +0100

John Wells wrote:
I guess what I'm looking for is to understand: what can you do, as a
java developer, in NetBeans or Eclipse that you can't do (reasonably)
in emacs?

Hi John,

It looks like you want to have a look at JDEE. You can start here:

  http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/JavaDevelopmentEnvironment

But to get a better knowledge of it I think you have to look into the mailing list for JDEE. There are some fixes to get things working with Emacs 22 and from reading a bit in the archive from the latest month you may get a sense for the state of JDEE right now.

The current maintainer has said he has not that much time now to continue with JDEE and that he will move the files over to Sourceforge. Some people have said that they want to take part in maintenance.

That as far as I know. Someone else who is actually using JDEE now can perhaps tell you more.