Re: Can Emacs beat NetBeans or Eclipse?

From: Gian Uberto Lauri
Subject: Re: Can Emacs beat NetBeans or Eclipse?
Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2007 20:06:52 +0100

Quoting Tom Tromey <tromey@redhat.com>:

On the other hand, Eclipse is hugely better at Java -- better enough
that I moved all my real Java work into Eclipse, even though that
meant living with sub-standard editing.

Despite what some others have said on this thread, I don't think that
Java reflection plays a big role in Eclipse's superiority in this
area.

You can use both as I do. With the current JDEE correctly configured
it's even faster than Eclipse with the import and method completion.

Instead, the primary thing that Eclipse has that Emacs does not is an
integrated Java compiler.  Eclipse comes with its own intelligent,
incremental compiler that understands your whole program.  The
compiler is what provides all the nice features: automatic rebuilds
(on my machine it is usually done compiling as soon as I save a
buffer), refactoring, intelligent completion, javadoc hover-help,
class browsing, find callers, error filters, quick fix, etc.

The refactoring is *really* useful. The other ones... See above for
the completion.

Eclipse also has some nice team features.  You can check in various
project files and anyone who checks out the project will automatically
get the right indentation settings, language compliance settings,
build paths, etc.

Build paths? Unless all of the team mates have the same file system layout forget of them moving seamlessly from one user PC to another.

Even worse if they DO NOT use the same O.S.

 Emacs doesn't have anything like this built in; and
generally Emacs doesn't really have a "project" concept the way
Eclipse does (this is both a strength and a weakness of Eclipse).

JDEE has. And with a good ant file...

I can't compare the Eclipse java debugger with the Emacs one as,
weirdly, I haven't used either.  I also have never used JDEE in Emacs
(a big oversight).

I use JDEE since ... I forgot when I started using it.

Usually, or I use ant or use Eclipse as project handler, debugger (I don't know of something as well integrated in Emacs like gdb), compiler -uses JDK one, AFAIK- and editor for the very little things.

I would like to write an eclipse editor to reokace JDT one that uses
emacsclient like code to trigger Emacs Lisp...

But for now Emacs does the big coding and the most I have to do is telling Eclipse "refresh" (Emacs is smarter in this).

--
/___/\_|_|\_|__|___Gian Uberto Lauri_____