Re: emacsclient usage

From: Nikos Apostolakis
Subject: Re: emacsclient usage
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2007 10:03:47 -0500

rustom <rustompmody@gmail.com> writes:

> Trying to use emacsclient (though not yet sure its what I need to
> use :-) ) came upon the following questions:
>
> 1. How do I tell emacsclient that my server is not emacs but emacs-
> snapshot-gtk ?

If you are using Debian then each emacs flavor has its own server.
For emacs-snapshot-gtk is probably emacsclient.emacs-snapshot.
Still on Debian you can make emacs-snapshot and its client the
standard alternative for emacs by using the command
`update-alternatives'.

> 2. How do I tell emacsclient (to tell the server...) not to read a
> file but to run a command (say remember)
>
> Note in my attempts so far it barfs at the -e option though the man
> page shows it. It accepts and ignores the -a or ALTERNATE_EDITOR
> settings

I think that the -e option is relatively recent, it doesn't work
with older emacsclient.

HTH,
Nikos