Re: Region-highlighting has disappeared.

From: Adam Funk
Subject: Re: Region-highlighting has disappeared.
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2007 19:11:25 +0000

On 2007-12-19, Drew Adams wrote:

>> Region face:
>>              [X] Foreground: white      (sample)
>>              [X] Background: blue       (sample)
>> But emacs seems to ignore this without -q!
>
> I assume you mean that you see that when you use your .emacs also, so we
> know the region face is something noticeable.
>
> So, using your .emacs, the region was active (in the buffer in question),
> transient-mark mode was enabled, and the region face is something
> noticeable. That's all as it should be.

Sorry I wasn't clear!

With my .emacs:
  * the region face definition (above) looks right
  * transient-mark-mode is on
  * the region is active
  * I *cannot* see the region!

With -q:
  * the region face definition (above) looks right
  * transient-mark-mode is on
  * the region is active
  * I *can* see the region.

>> I haven't changed anything in ~/.emacs; I've
>> just done an ubuntu upgrade and switched from emacs21 to emacs22.
>
> Dunno. Maybe someone else has a suggestion.

I should also point out that I had this problem with emacs21
immediately after upgrading Ubuntu to gutsy, and then upgraded to
emacs22 in the (mistaken) hope of fixing it.