match paren in console (-nw) mode

From: reader
Subject: match paren in console (-nw) mode
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2007 09:43:40 -0600

Setting up emacs on a new install of gentoo linux.

The OS is intended to run in console mode and so has no X related
stuff installed.  Emacs-22 is intalled.

I want to see the matching parens when cursor is behind or in front of
a paren.  Currently that only happens on insertion of a paren.

Is it something I can set so that I'll see the matching paren
highligted whenever my curor is just behind or in front of a paren?

M-x apropos <RET> paren <RET> shows a number of related items,
The first of them:
   blink-matching-paren
is set `t' and so I see the match on insertion.

None of the other items appear to be about matching/highlighting an
existing paren.