Re: emacs on windows

From: Joost Kremers
Subject: Re: emacs on windows
Date: 11 Feb 2008 15:17:16 GMT

rustom wrote:
> - paths dont make sense (to me) -- sometimes spaces, sometimes no
> spaces, sometimes '/' sometimes '\'

spaces should be there when they're in the path, emacs shouldn't really
change anything about that. as for \ vs /, that's a windows thing, emacs
accepts both. i never worry about it when i'm on windows. (which, luckily,
rarely happens...)

> - whats the equivalent of $HOME $PATH etc? It seems to have some. But
> I cant make sense of it

(getenv "HOME") will tell you that. it's possible to change it, too. just
google for "set environment variables windows" or something and you'll find
explanations aplenty.

> - I cant find the fonts I use in linux

are you sure they're even installed on your windows box? other than that, i
have no idea, don't know how emacs on windows handles fonts.

> - M-x shell seems broken -- puts all kinds of control characters

dunno, but unless M-x shell runs DOS, or you have cygwin installed, running
a shell inside emacs on windows seems pointless anyway...

> - large nos of utilities used from inside emacs -- locate, man etc
> dont work. Expecting man on windows is of course too much but locate?

well, locate is indeed a unix utility, and not normally available on
windows. same probably for the other utilities you have in mind.

if you really miss that sort of stuff (which i can sympathise with ;-) you
might consider installing cygwin <http://www.cygwin.com/>. it's a unix-like
environment for windows, and gives you bash, a host of shell utilities and
IIRC even X.

--
Joost Kremers                                      joostkremers@yahoo.com
EN:SiS(9)