two character keymap

From: Jeff Rose
Subject: two character keymap
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2008 20:20:00 +0100

Hi,
I'd like to map two regular characters to a command if typed in sequence, but if not one after the other in order treat them as normal. Specifically, I'd like to map 'kj' to mean <ESC>. (This way I don't have to move off the home row.) If I use the regular key-mapping then the first character becomes a prefix and it doesn't print. Does anyone know how to do this?

The only way I've thought of is to map 'k[a-z]' to insert k then the following character, (probably have to do symbols and other stuff too), but then remap 'kj' to mean escape. Not an ideal solution though. Any advice would be great.

Thanks a lot,
Jeff